The Alliance has developed the Smart Government Contract with Omaha and invites all lcurrent candidates to publicly endorse and commit to implementing these good government initiatives
The Omaha Alliance for the Private Sector Proposes to any Candidate for City Office their public endorsement of the
Smart Government Contract with Omaha
As Mayor or Councilperson, I promise if elected, to work to:
1. Bring the total cost of public sector union contracts down to less than 50% of the city budget without raising taxes.
2. Set up one ombudsman position with the power to deal with citizen and business complaints about fire, police, planning, code enforcement, public works or any city department.
3. Return the power to neighborhoods to determine their own destiny with regard to zoning, master plan, traffic flow, liquor licenses, development etc.
4. Stop sending a fire truck to each ambulance call and staff the department accordingly.
5. Make the city budgeting process more transparent, and allow more time for review before enactment. Introduce and promote legislation mandating at least 45 days’ notice to citizens for review of major changes (10% more or less) in income or expense.
6. Enable legislation mandating at least 45 days’ publically posted proposed ordinances on all non-routine items coming before the city council. e.g. additional taxes, protected classes laws, off budget additions, etc.
7. Aggressively pursue citizen input into the crafting of the new city charter.
8. Work to restore cooperation with the Unicameral.
9. Demand performance audits of all city departments. Agree to follow recommendations whenever possible. Responsibly manage staffing levels based on best practices criteria. Privatize whenever possible.
Smart Governnment Contract with Omaha.PDF